[OpenIndiana-discuss] "format -e" segmentation fault attempting to label a 5 TB disk in Hipster 2017.10

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Feb 22 01:14:26 UTC 2021

On February 21, 2021 8:53:44 PM UTC, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

>> On 21. Feb 2021, at 22:50, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss
><openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>>
>> WTF?
>>
>> I  had loads of fun with this 4-5 years ago, but was able to put an
>EFI label on a 3 TB disk  and everything was fine when I moved the disk
>to my Solaris 10 instance where I have two in a mirror.
>>
>> I'm trying to label a 5 TB disk so I can make a backup before
>attempting to fix grub on my Solaris 10 u8 system.
>>
>> So I get this:
>>
>> rhb at Hipster:/etc# zpool status
>>  pool: epool
>> state: ONLINE
>>  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h30m with 0 errors on Wed Feb 17 17:39:53
>2021
>> config:
>>
>>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>        epool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>>          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c4d0s1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c6d1s1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c7d0s1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>>
>>  pool: rpool
>> state: ONLINE
>>  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 1h39m with 0 errors on Wed Feb 17 16:49:12
>2021
>> config:
>>
>>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>>          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c4d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c6d1s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            c7d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>> rhb at Hipster:/etc# format -e
>> Searching for disks...done
>>

>> AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
>>       0. c4d0 <Unknown-Unknown-0001 cyl 60796 alt 2 hd 255 sec 252>
>>          /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,2/ide at 1/cmdk at 0,0
>>       1. c4d1 <drive type unknown>
>>          /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,2/ide at 1/cmdk at 1,0
>>       2. c6d1 <Unknown-Unknown-0001 cyl 60796 alt 2 hd 255 sec 252>
>>          /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,2/ide at 0/cmdk at 1,0
>>       3. c7d0 <Unknown-Unknown-0001 cyl 60796 alt 2 hd 255 sec 252>
>>          /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,5/ide at 1/cmdk at 0,0
>> Specify disk (enter its number): 1
>>
>> Error: can't open disk '/dev/rdsk/c4d1p0'.
>> Segmentation Fault
>>
>> I was using OI because I knew that Solaris 10 u8 would dump core, but
>I *thought* this had been fixed in OI/Illumos.  All I want to do is put
>a UEFI label on it so I can use it with u8.
>>
>> It boggles my mind that I would get a seg fault after all these
>years.  That was always my favorite bug fix because it was so easy. At
>least it is if you can recompile the code.  The overhead cost of being
>able to build OI is simply more than I am willing to pay.  I did get it
>to compile once *many* years ago, but I never got a response when I
>asked on the developer list how to test the new kernel.
>>
>> But then again, I now find myself in a world where  it is proclaimed
>"racist" to insist that 2+2 = 4.
>>
>> So time to take OI down and move the disk to Debian to label it.
>>
>> Sigh..
> [...]

The cmdk (and pci-ide) in device paths suggest IDE (emulated?) disk access; I am not sure the protocol supported more than some limit that was infinite-like in 90's or so.

Can you place it to SATA (possibly changing BIOS settings, and at a risk of loading with live media to export-import rpool with new device paths)?

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android