[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why would X11 not start?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 00:04:07 UTC 2021

I finally finished scrubbing the 3 pools on the system.  There were no errors reported.  In single user mode "zfs mount -a" seemed to mount everything as it should.  I checked the timestamps on the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 which was last modified in 2016.

But when I exit single user mode I get the nVidia splash  screen.  Same thing if I just let grub do a normal boot.  I don't get an xdm login prompt as I did before it crashed.

With zfs reporting no errors I'm at a loss as to why the system is not displaying the xdm login screen.  I've not yet gone to look at the X error log, but that is next.

The system is not hung because if I press the soft power switch it will revert to the console and shutdown properly.

Anyone have any ideas?  It reliably comes up single user.

Very puzzled,
Reg