[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why would X11 not start?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 01:42:24 UTC 2021

After poking through /var/adm/messages it became clear that SMF had disabled cde-login. I tried

svcadm enable -r /application/graphical-login/cde-login

but that didn't solve the issue. Once again I just get an nVidia splash screen.

svcs -xv /application/graphical-login/cde-login

did not tell me anything useful. Just "disabled by administrator"

Unfortunately, I've never really gotten a good understanding of the SMF system. There were messages in /var/dt/Xerrors "Referenced uninitialized screen in layout!", but nothing else.

I'd really like to get this beast running properly so I can work on updating my Hipster instance.

Reg