[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS problem

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Feb 23 08:03:41 UTC 2021

On 22.02.2021 23:34, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> My nnswitch.conf file got stepped on by something which substituted nsswitch.files during a reboot when I took the machine down to remove the 5 TB disk. This was after I had fixed the problem once already. Fortunately, I immediately recognized what had happened. I still don't no why though.
>
> Reg

Hi all,

this sounds like nwam is enabled... That explains replacing of
nsswitch.conf (I had problems in the past - you might face it, because
you use old hipster, so disabled nwam and use static IP now).

Maybe, to replace nwam with static ip:
*
http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/systems-administration/#manual-configuration-static-ip
* (old, maybe outdated):
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Changing+to+Static+IP

HTH
Regards.

>       On Monday, February 22, 2021, 04:15:35 PM CST, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>

>> On 22. Feb 2021, at 21:33, L. F. Elia via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>>
>> I usually use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 for dns. There are IPv6 options of those for you who need them
>> ----lfelia at yahoo.com, Portsmouth VA, 23701
>> Solaris/LINUX/Windows administration CISSP/Security consulting
>>
>>      On Saturday, February 20, 2021, 10:29:00 AM EST, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd been using a Linksys WRT54GL  and DD-WRT for 12 years without any problems.  A few days ago I started having issues of  not being able to properly making connections.  It might work fine for an hour and then web sites would time out on access attempts.
>>
>> I have replaced it with a Linksys N600. That is working fine from Debian 9.3, but not with Hipster 2017.10.
>>
>> If I do "nslookup login.yahoo.com" I get the usual response from the N600.  But if I attempt "traceroute login.yahoo.com" I get an "unknown host login.yahoo.com" .
>>
>> "traceroute <ip addr>" works as expected.
>>
>> I'm *very* rusty at this as I set everything up many years ago. I suspect the issue is a conflict with nwamd.  For Hipster I configured  a static LAN ip address in the traditional fashion.
>>
>> I have the following settings:
>>
>> /etc/hostname.<nic>
>> <static 192.168 ip addr>
>>
>> /etc/defaultrouter
>> gateway <gateway 192.168. ip addr>
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> nameserver <gateway 192.168  ip addr>
>>
>> As an experiment I removed all those but nothing changed.
>>
>> What things might I have misconfigured to create these symptoms?
>>

> You do not mention /etc/nsswitch.conf. I think, that too, is traditional way to break things;)
>
> rgds,
> toomas
>

>> I am *not* a fan of "auto magical" anything.  I've been administering my own SunOS systems for 30 years starting with a 3/60 and 4.1.1a.  So it's natural for me to continue using the pattern set by that.

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!