[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF and X11 startup problem

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 03:59:13 UTC 2021

 The double slash is symptomatic of an undefined environment variable. I've fixed such things very many times.

.../$FOO/... becomes ...//... if FOO is not defined. Unix treats multiple slashes as a single slash.

The filesystem is littered with copies of the library. That's how people who don't understand the system fix things. They make copies and symbolic links until they get it to work. Some of the versions are actually different, but I'm sure there are several kludges. I'll get it sorted, but will migrate the machine to Hipster as soon as is possible.

Have Fun!
Reg

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 08:12:21 PM CST, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:

Reginald Beardsley <pulaskite at yahoo.com> asks on the list today:

>> Does anyone know what the missing environment variable is or
>> where the reference to
>> /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions//libglx.so
>> is located?

On a Fedora 33 Linux system, I find that library in

 /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

On an Oracle Solaris 11 systems, I find it in two locations:

 /usr/lib/mesa/modules/extensions/libglx.so
 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

On a Sun Solaris 10 system, I find several copies

 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/amd64/libglx.so

 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so

 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/mesa/amd64/libglx.so
 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/mesa/libglx.so
 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/amd64/libglx.so
 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/amd64/libglx.so.1
 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/libglx.so
 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/libglx.so.1
 /var/run/opengl/server/amd64/libglx.so
 /var/run/opengl/server/libglx.so

Thus, I suspect that the double slash that you reported is innocuous,
and valid, because in the V6 Unix kernel documented in John Lyons'
book, the path traveral has something like

 while (*s == '/') s++;

instead of

 if (*s == '/') s++;

I found that snippet several years ago when we were writing Classic
Shell Scripting, and we wanted to know if adjacent slashes in a
pathname are legal: the V6 code shows that the answer is yes.

Of course, the Solaris 10 system also shows intervening mesa and
NVIDIA components, so it certainly is worth checking whether a simple
symlink will allow the library to be found.

- Nelson H. F. Beebe Tel: +1 801 581 5254 -
- University of Utah FAX: +1 801 581 4148 -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB Internet e-mail: beebe at math.utah.edu -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233 beebe at acm.org beebe at computer.org -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/ -