[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF and X11 startup problem

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 24 11:33:28 UTC 2021

On February 24, 2021 2:12:02 AM UTC, "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:
>Reginald Beardsley <pulaskite at yahoo.com> asks on the list today:
>
>>> Does anyone know what the missing environment variable is or
>>> where the reference to
>>>	/usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions//libglx.so
>>> is located?
>
>On a Fedora 33 Linux system, I find that library in
>
>	/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>
>On an Oracle Solaris 11 systems, I find it in two locations:
>
>	/usr/lib/mesa/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>	/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>
>On a Sun Solaris 10 system, I find several copies
>
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/amd64/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/mesa/amd64/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/mesa/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/amd64/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/amd64/libglx.so.1
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/libglx.so
>	 /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/libglx.so.1
>	 /var/run/opengl/server/amd64/libglx.so
>	 /var/run/opengl/server/libglx.so
>
>Thus, I suspect that the double slash that you reported is innocuous,
>and valid, because in the V6 Unix kernel documented in John Lyons'
>book, the path traveral has something like
>
>	while (*s == '/') s++;
>
>instead of
>
>	if (*s == '/') s++;
>
>I found that snippet several years ago when we were writing Classic
>Shell Scripting, and we wanted to know if adjacent slashes in a
>pathname are legal: the V6 code shows that the answer is yes.
>
>Of course, the Solaris 10 system also shows intervening mesa and
>NVIDIA components, so it certainly is worth checking whether a simple
>symlink will allow the library to be found.

>- Nelson H. F. Beebe                    Tel: +1 801 581 5254
>      -
>- University of Utah                    FAX: +1 801 581 4148
>      -
>- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail:
>beebe at math.utah.edu  -
>- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe at acm.org
>beebe at computer.org -
>- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL:
>http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/ -

For those libs, another option IIRC was VirtualBox GL provider.

Check the ogl-select (or was it opengl-select?) service which sets the symlinks at runtime. By default it is based on (iirc) smf instance properties; I toggled that value in dual-booted vm/native systems based on prtconf output with an early init script way back when.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android