[OpenIndiana-discuss] Auto remove of unneeded packages?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 04:49:16 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 8:32 PM cretin1997 <cretin1997 at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
No, I don't. No one answered my question in that thread. From my crude
understanding of what was discussed, pkg state is pretty much frozen in the
boot environment (BE, which allows for system rollbacks) via ZFS snapshots,
and the boot environment is managed via beadm. As a result of this, the
typical concepts of clearing pkg cache and autoremoving unused dependencies
don't apply to OI, as each BE is its own self-contained entity.

> p/s: I don't use pkgsrc.

No worries, was just dropping that tidbit of information. IMO it's kinda
hard to get up-to-date builds of many mainstream packages if you don't use
it, so I kind of assumed most OI users did. I see that assumption was
wrong.