[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone running OI on VPS?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:31:46 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 3:47 PM cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Do you run OI on VPS or dedicated server?

I run other illumos distributions (OmniOS, Tribblix) on dedicated hardware,
VPS providers,
and the cloud.

> Does OI suitable to run on a VPS at all?

Certainly. Like anything, provided you meet the requirements.

> It seems normal cheap VPS plan of many host providers will be not enough.
> OI takes much more disk space than Linux because of Boot Environments.

That varies. You can trim boot environments, so they don't take that much
space.
And I find Linux distributions generally to chew through a lot of space,
especially
as you get all sorts of odd packages installed unnecessarily because
they're thought
to be required (turning off recommends can help).

> So it seems I will need to upgrade the storage plan. OI also needs more
> memory to work because of pkg so I will need more memory, too. This end up
> with a not cheap at all VPS whose resources (cores, memory, storage space)
> will be same same as my home PC.
>
> If it's so, does a dedicate server should be more preferred?

Not really, it's true that you might struggle with the smaller VPS sizing,
but even if you have to avoid those you can still go a lot smaller than
a dedicated server.

> But if it's the case, why someone consider running OI in the first place
> instead of Linux since Linux is a much cheaper option?

As always, choose whichever option best serves your needs.

> I'm talking about normal KVM host providers here.

The things that can cause problems are (a) if they force virtio-scsi, which
we don;t
yet have, or (b) if they don't offer some sort of install from ISO option,
which can be
worked around in some cases.

> I have no idea about the cloud (AWS, GCE, Azure,...) at all.

I'm not aware of AMIs for OI, but they're not hard to makes, so AWS
wouldn't be a problem. I've run OmniOS on Azure; I've not run any illumos
on GCE myself, but I think it's possible.

--
-Peter Tribble