[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Thu Jan 7 17:08:08 UTC 2021

Not broken as it never worked
(multi purpose Illumos Unix with a stable/long term stable/newest beta
base).

OI currently: always and only newest beta based
so Yes: (maybe easy to say as I cannot help to do the needed work -
unsure about the needed efforts)

When I remember the first steps of OpenIndiana, the lack of a stable was
a constant item on all meetings.

When OmniOS started they first tried to use OpenIndiana as base what was
more or less OpenSolaris at that time with too many dependencies. Then
Illumos started as a minimalistic OS based on OpenSolaris and OmniOS
used this as base. Now as OI is pure Illumos as base and OmniOS is more
or less pure Illumos freezed in a fork per release there is no real
reason to have two bases and two software repositories for different use
cases with the problem for OI that the underlying Illumos can change
from day to day.

Gea