[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 17:23:18 UTC 2021

Am 07.01.21 um 18:08 schrieb Guenther Alka:
> Not broken as it never worked
> (multi purpose Illumos Unix with a stable/long term stable/newest beta
> base).
>
> OI currently: always and only newest beta based
> so Yes: (maybe easy to say as I cannot help to do the needed work -
> unsure about the needed efforts)
>
> When I remember the first steps of OpenIndiana, the lack of a stable
> was a constant item on all meetings.
>
> When OmniOS started they first tried to use OpenIndiana as base what
> was more or less OpenSolaris at that time with too many dependencies.
> Then Illumos started as a minimalistic OS based on OpenSolaris and
> OmniOS used this as base. Now as OI is pure Illumos as base and OmniOS
> is more or less pure Illumos freezed in a fork per release there is no
> real reason to have two bases and two software repositories for
> different use cases with the problem for OI that the underlying
> Illumos can change from day to day.
>
> Gea
You don't seem to have read my former answers, so I will retry:

The most important answer you have to give is: Who will do the necessary
work?

Actual numbers:

Number of active OI maintainers: <single digit natural number>
Number of active OI maintainers with commit rights: 1
Number of testers (not also being a maintainer): 1
Number of admins (not also being a maintainer with commit rights): 0

More questions you should answer as a business man:
- Do you have an estimation of the needed efforts, eg. for creating a
minimal version (tdb!) of what you propose?
- What are you willing to spend to start/support these efforts?

We need to increase all the numbers I presented above before it makes
even sense to discuss a change like you are proposing!
OI is an open source project without any company background and without
anybody getting money for what he/she is doing!

As I wrote before: We don't lack good ideas, we lack people doing actual
work!

Andreas