[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:53:23 UTC 2021

So, to that question a bit of Background. OmniOS is more than just
illumos and omni repo. It's also kayak and all their Projects. That is a
huge amount of projects.

There was work to allow installation of omnios illumos-gate instead of
illumos-gate by simply switching packages. That can work, because we
have consolidations and metapackages that bundle illumos-gate into one
tree of packages where everything depends on.

This work was started by Jim Klimov and me on the last FOSDEM but due to
lack of experience with oi-userland and make it never went anywhere.

It's in PR https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/5528
If anyobody is actually interested in picking it up.

And a last not on illumos-gate and stability. Originally the patches
omnios included into it's for of illumos-gate where still considered
experimental/not yet ready to upstream.

Now we see people saying those experimental patches are more stable than
the illumos-gate with stability guarantee in master. If anything is
broken from illumos-gate it gets fixed very quickly. The problem all
complaints are about packages from oi-userland not illumos-gate.

-Till