[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Thu Jan 7 21:50:45 UTC 2021

In the end I do not think in these categories.

A few years ago all my own servers were OpenIndiana and maybe 40% of my
users on Solaris. Now I am 100% on OmniOS beside a OI evaluation machine
(and miss OI features and use cases) and maybe 10% of my users are left
on Solaris with OI near to not relevant now.

OmniOS and OI are OpenSource. Why not take over this from OmniOS to keep
them more in sync?
On Linux Debian and Ubuntu are big enough to be independent while very
similar. On Illumos everyone may be too small alone in the long run.

Gea