[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:03:50 UTC 2021

No. Nobody is ever too small to achieve something. You just need to be
clever about it. We always have the assumption that building packages is
the main burden for Systems, but that is only if you don't have the
right automation. And that is possible. Fully automate bumping package
versions is possible. Build systems are similar enough, aaand many
projects now switch to meson which is specifically automate able and
standardized. So the burden is only there if you are not innovative. And
our size makes us the perfect group for such innovation. We have the
need. The Debian community does not have a need for innovation in
packaging automation they are to big. When I talk with my friend which
is Debian packager from the very beginning, he says the same. Everybody
is happy with the Status quo and wants no changes as they don't need
them. Then they get stuck. We can't afford to get stuck. Thats a good thing.

-Till