[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 8 01:27:34 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-07 13:50, Guenther Alka wrote:
> In the end I do not think in these categories.
>
> A few years ago all my own servers were OpenIndiana and maybe 40% of my
> users on
> Solaris. Now I am 100% on OmniOS beside a OI evaluation machine (and miss OI
> features and use cases) and maybe 10% of my users are left on Solaris with
> OI near
> to not relevant now.
>
> OmniOS and OI are OpenSource. Why not take over this from OmniOS to keep
> them more in sync?
> On Linux Debian and Ubuntu are big enough to be independent while very
> similar. On
> Illumos everyone may be too small alone in the long run.
IMHO No that RHEL is in bed with IBM, and as a result; RHEL, and CentOS
taking
quite a different path. OI is likely to see a greater influx of users. A
quick
look on the CentOS mailinglists/forums indicates thier userbase is LIVID
about
the changes. The was not one single positive note about the change.
tl;dr
A lot of CentOS, and as a result, RHEL users; are abandoning ship. They'll
all
be going *somewhere*. Maybe it's to OI. :-)

--Chris