[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tasks to focus on

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 03:06:48 UTC 2021

On 07.01.21 23:47, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 13:57, Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will get myself a Physical host with Hetzner with a ton of RAM and CPU
>> so we can dedicate some zones and VM's to OpenIndiana building packages.
>> Olaf has been working on a revised Jenkins pipeline which fully
>> automates PR builds and allows to push them into seperate repos for
>> testing with others. So others can just use that repo for testing and
>> don't need to build. We will implement that Capability there.
>
> Before you spend any money, or at least in parallel with doing so, I
> would encourage you to see if Fosshost will provide some resources for
> the project.  They have reached out to illumos in the past, and I
> think OpenIndiana meets all of their eligibility criteria (open
> source, no commercial backing, etc):
>
>      https://fosshost.org
>
> It seems they will provide one or more virtual machines to projects
> for hosting of web resources and builds and such.

Oh nice will have a talk with them also. That one server is not just for
OI, it is also to replace my failed HomeLab server and move stuff from
that out to a DC. And then also to host some company resources and
others. But Of course I would not need that much RAM for that.

Let's see what they can do. But having infrastructure under our control
is the Goal. Evercity is doing a very good sponsoring but we need to do
updates to the Jenkins infrastructure and redo the setup. So having
somewhere where we can do that without needing to burden work onto
others is one of our goals with this. And we will also need a couple of
package servers.

>> We also talked about making a rustup.mk which will use jmclulows rustup
>> work to bootstrap a rust compiler to build rust software and rust itself.
>
> If you hit any trouble with Rust, I'd love to hear about it!  We have
> a good relationship with the Rust project itself, so we should be able
> to get things fixed as they arise, without needing to float additional
> patches.

Will let you know how it went in any case. I expect no big problems though.

-Till