[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tasks to focus on

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Fri Jan 8 07:33:56 UTC 2021

Am 08.01.21 05:15 schrieb Chris  <oidev at bsdos.info>:

> On 2021-01-07 19:06, Till Wegmueller wrote:
> >>
> >>Before you spend any money, or at least in parallel with doing so, I
> >>would encourage you to see if Fosshost will provide some resources for
> >>the project. They have reached out to illumos in the past, and I
> >>think OpenIndiana meets all of their eligibility criteria (open
> >>source, no commercial backing, etc):
> >>
> >> https://fosshost.org
> >>
> >>It seems they will provide one or more virtual machines to projects
> >>for hosting of web resources and builds and such.
> >>

> >Oh nice will have a talk with them also. That one server is not just for OI, it is
> >also to replace my failed HomeLab server and move stuff from that out to a DC. And
> >then also to host some company resources and others. But Of course I would not
> >need that much RAM for that.
> >
> >Let's see what they can do. But having infrastructure under our control is the
> >Goal. Evercity is doing a very good sponsoring but we need to do updates to the
> >Jenkins infrastructure and redo the setup. So having somewhere where we can do
> >that without needing to burden work onto others is one of our goals with this. And
> >we will also need a couple of package servers.
> You might also be interested in what Oregon State University is offering
> (free to opren source && includes IPv6)
> https://osuosl.org/services/hosting/

> >>If you hit any trouble with Rust, I'd love to hear about it! We have
> >>a good relationship with the Rust project itself, so we should be able
> >>to get things fixed as they arise, without needing to float additional
> >>patches.

I try to build firefox 78esr for openindiana. The problems with Rust are much smaller than a while ago.

But I stopped to use the rustc installed with rustup because this use a toolchain naming like x86_64-unknown-illumos.

For that the rustc sources build instruction have to extent for target_os "solaris" to target_os "illumos", which is an additional effort.

So I updated the oi-userland build reciept for rust to provide an newer version (1.41.1) where the target tripple x86_64-sun-solaris is used.

So there are no patching of lib.rs and others is necessary.
Or it is possible with rustup to get the target  toolchain x86_64-sun-solaris also?

> >Will let you know how it went in any case. I expect no big problems though.
> >
> >-Till

> --
> ~40yrs of UNIX and counting

Carsten Grzemba