[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tasks to focus on

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Fri Jan 8 09:25:20 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 23:34, Carsten Grzemba via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
> I try to build firefox 78esr for openindiana. The problems with Rust are much smaller than a while ago.

I took a spin at building Firefox last year, and while I didn't get a
complete build finished (ran out of time) it was honestly easier to
get master to build than ESR.  The main branch usually uses updated
crates, and thus tends to have _better_ support for illumos than the
older ESR branches.

> But I stopped to use the rustc installed with rustup because this use a toolchain naming like x86_64-unknown-illumos.
>
> For that the rustc sources build instruction have to extent for target_os "solaris" to target_os "illumos", which is an additional effort.
>
> So I updated the oi-userland build reciept for rust to provide an newer version (1.41.1) where the target tripple x86_64-sun-solaris is used.
> So there are no patching of lib.rs and others is necessary.
> Or it is possible with rustup to get the target  toolchain x86_64-sun-solaris also?

The old "sun-solaris" targets are not really being maintained by the
illumos community at this point -- either in the Rust toolchain
itself, or in the crates in the Rust ecosystem at large.  I would
recommend using the illumos target and getting any build issues fixed
upstream in whatever crates have remaining platform-specific issues.

I and some other folks have been doing that sort of thing a lot
throughout 2019-2020.  Most or all of our patches and testing are for
the illumos target, even if the Solaris targets sometimes also come
along for the ride.

I think it'd be best if OI ships an illumos target toolchain for Rust,
rather than the increasingly obsolete solaris target.  Then we're all
testing and working on the same bits!

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow