[OpenIndiana-discuss] Will OpenIndiana switch to SquashFS?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Sat Jan 9 20:15:53 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-08 22:36, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Most Linux distributions now employing SquashFS for their live system so
> they are
> blazing fast even though being run from a slow USB 2.0 stick. I'm posting
> this
> mail on one of such live system. I found OpenIndiana is using another
> technology:
> https://ptribble.blogspot.com/2012/10/those-strange-zlib-files.html
>
> Does this technology comparable to SquashFS? And if SquashFS is better, is
> there
> any plan to switch to SquashFS?
>
> I found when I dd-ed the .usb image into my usb, it only fills a small
> extent of
> my storage space. How could I extend it to fit to all of my storage space?
> Could I
> make a partition from the unused space to store data?
>
> Linux is too good at being a live system. The MX Live USB Creator handled
> all of
> this for me. I'm posting from a live MX Linux system. Nowadays, finding a
> live
> system not being a Linux distro is hard. So I really appreciate OpenIndiana.

zlib compression while a different compression algo, is effectively the same.
Perceived speed is subjective. Once read|decompressed, it's as fast as your
installed memory.
Using additional storage space on your storage medium is trivial. It is
enough
to enlarge the written partitions/slices on the medium after they have been
written.
I'm not sure where there would be too much gain doing that. As most of the
activity
is memory bound.

HTH

--Chris