[OpenIndiana-discuss] Will OpenIndiana switch to SquashFS?

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:49:32 UTC 2021

---- On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 19:42:25 +0700 Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote ----

 > Hi
 >
 > You don't need a writable root filesystem. Especially on a live
 > environment. SmartOS for exmple is a "Live" environment in that sense
 > but it's rootfs is completelty read-only so nobodies changes get lost.
 > IMHO aufs on top of a live system is more of a easy way to brick your
 > system rather than a help. You want to update the live system with apt
 > and then boot a new one? You are going to be in a whole lot of trouble then.
  >
 > -Till

No. This is impossible even with Linux. The writable root file system is only during the working session, after reboot or power off it's lost. Unless you setup it to use persistent. Linux is capable of using persistent file. But I don't think OpenIndiana is able to do so. Persistent is also painfully slow if you are using an USB 2.0 stick like me. So I don't use persistent.

A writable root file system sometimes very useful. You could do many useful things with the live system as it's an already installed system if you have plenty of RAM and when you reboot or power off, without a persistent everything will be reset to it original state.

BTW, I think we should stop our discussion here, since I'm already have all of the information I need. Thank you all.