[OpenIndiana-discuss] When this misery end?

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Sun Jan 10 05:55:28 UTC 2021

Unlike other systems, Illumos is a weirded platform! You have a 64 bit OS but the compiler by default will generate 32 bit binaries! The linker by default link 32 bit binaries! This has caused endless of troubles for people wanted to have their software working on your platform and the porters wanted to port software to your platform! I have asked many people, apart from the reason you are being a minor platform ('outdated', 'dead OS', 'too little market share',...) this insanity is the second reason why they all afraid!

When would we could be as normal as other 64 bit system, when people no longer have to pass CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64' before any configure scripts with a very high rate of failure just to have 64 bit binaries generated, I wonder?