[OpenIndiana-discuss] When this misery end?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Jan 10 10:24:55 UTC 2021

Am 10.01.21 um 06:55 schrieb Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss:
> Unlike other systems, Illumos is a weirded platform! You have a 64 bit OS but the compiler by default will generate 32 bit binaries! The linker by default link 32 bit binaries! This has caused endless of troubles for people wanted to have their software working on your platform and the porters wanted to port software to your platform! I have asked many people, apart from the reason you are being a minor platform ('outdated', 'dead OS', 'too little market share',...) this insanity is the second reason why they all afraid!
>
> When would we could be as normal as other 64 bit system, when people no longer have to pass CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64' before any configure scripts with a very high rate of failure just to have 64 bit binaries generated, I wonder?

Hi,

you have already been told that you should read
http://docs.openindiana.org/dev/userland/
and make use of what is already available. You don't need to start from
scratch but can use
what Sun has originally created, and Oracle for Solaris 11 and the OI
team for OpenIndiana enhanced.
You seem to want to take a shortpath but that won't work. Building
software like epiphany is complex
on any OS. libdazzle is just a step on your path of a working epiphany
browser on OI and I guess it's
one of the more simpler ones. We should do that in a team.
I have prepared a package description of libdazzle for OI Hipster.
I am reluctant to add the new library to our repository as it doesn't
have a consumer in our userland yet
and I am not sure whether we will need it in the future (eg. if we don't
agree on adding epiphany in the future).

Furthermore, as it depends on gcc-10 ant its runtime we should
coordinate this with Aurélien work on
changing the default compiler for oi-userland to gcc-10. We should
discuss how to proceed.

If you want it I can send you the sources I generated (based on the
solaris-userland files). Our build
system has diverted from Oracle's a bit so some changes have been necessary.

Regards,
Andreas