[OpenIndiana-discuss] When this misery end?

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 16:25:29 UTC 2021

On Sunday, January 10, 2021, 6:14:49 PM GMT+2, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

>Illumos is not 64 bit ready. This is why the compiler has to target 32 bit by default. All Illumos >distros have this limitation.

The kernel in my system is a 64bit binary. This means the system is a 64bit system.

>Don't get me wrong, I have read that many parts of the OS itself remain to be 32 bit,
>e.g: nscd, they are not yet 64 bit ready.

Older versions of various Linux distros were the same: they provided bith 32bit and 64bit
binaries for reasons of compatibility. Now they only provide 64bit binaries. Illumos-based
systems still provide both 32bit and 64bit binaries. I read somewhere that Solaris 11 does
not supply 32bit binaries anymore. Maybe in the future, the people who are packaging OI
will do the same.
A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece