[OpenIndiana-discuss] When this misery end?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Jan 10 17:09:56 UTC 2021

Am 10.01.21 um 17:14 schrieb Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss:
> Illumos is not 64 bit ready. This is why the compiler has to target 32 bit by default. All Illumos distros have this limitation.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I have read that many parts of the OS itself remain to be 32 bit, e.g: nscd, they are not yet 64 bit ready.
>
> I pretty much agreed and appreciate the Unleashed OS initiative but sadly it was terminated: https://unleashed-os.org/
>
> It is, IMHO, what Illumos should be.
>
> But you are partially right, though. Nothing stop we from setup the compiler to provide 64 bit binaries by default but still keeps the -m32 target so we could build the not 64 bit ready parts of the OS, too. This, indeed, is what many Linux distros are doing now. We are really weirded, because we are a 64 bit OS but choose to 'cross compile' to 32 bit by default. It should be the otherwise around: a 64 bit OS which generates 64 bit binaries by default but offer to 'cross compile' to 32 bit. But all of the Illumos distros did so, not only us. It's the general limitation of the platform.
>
> Put all of this aside, I only want to know how to fix my current linking issue with libdazzle. I have no idea to workaround this 'Wrong ELF Class' issue.
This error happens when you try to combine 64-bit and 32-bit object
files (or libraries).
As I already wrote: I have a complete package description for libdazzle
on OI Hipster. I can send it to you if you want (and give me the address
to send to).
I can even create a package from it for and provide it in p5p format so
you can install it on your system. It provides both, 32 and 64 bit versions.
But that will only be a single step on your way to provide/create a
working epiphany. You'll probably need to create or update other
packages, too.
And that's also the reason to create packages: you can keep things
separate and have version tags. So you can update them inidividually.