[OpenIndiana-discuss] How is IvyBridge support on recent IO?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Mon Jan 11 10:24:20 UTC 2021

Am 11.01.21 um 09:35 schrieb Chris:
> Hello,
> I recently attempted to an install of OI 20201031 on an
> Intel i5 IvyBridge. Everything worked up until the console
> switched to graphics/Xorg. Where the screen simply turned
> black and disk activity stopped shoerly there after.
> Tapping anything on the keyboard did not seem to have any
> affect. That is; no disk activity, nor change on the
> acreen as a result. Is IvyBridge still
> supported/(correctly)detected?
>
> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.
>
> --Chris

Hi,

from my point of view it shouldn't fail like this, albeit I haven't
checked any Ivy Brigde generation cpu yet. I only successfully used
Intel graphics on my e3-1245v3 (Haswell) and e3-1275v5 (Skylake,
not really sure whether I really tested it (my memory my fail me) as I
am using NVIDIA P6x0 cards on these machines).
My general recommendation is to use the text install media because this
is the best supported version (live media is still working but lacking
some things already as nobody cares for them).
After a successful installation from text media you can run "pkg install
mate_install && pkg uninstall mate_install" which brings you X11 and
Mate desktop.
Of course you'll need to add more apps to get a better desktop experience.
When your machine hangs on starting X11 you should try to connect via
ssh and look for errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/adm/messages.

Regards
Andreas