[OpenIndiana-discuss] Stupid BIOS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jan 12 15:37:34 UTC 2021

On January 12, 2021 1:01:01 PM UTC, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>My BIOS only likes Windows and Linux.
>
>While on Linux, I could update to new kernel version, regenerate
>initramfs, update-grub,... no problems.
>
>On OI, if I changed /etc/system or there was an system update which
>requires regeneration of the boot image, after reboot, the system
>stopped booting.
>
>Everything I could see is a blank screen with A2 in the bottom right
>corner of the screen.
>
>The only solution is unplug all of the disks on the system and boot
>again. It will print 99 or 9C error code.
>
>Attach a live usb stick of MX Linux and tried to boot again. It could
>boot now.
>
>After this fine boot, I could reattach the disks and booted only ONCE
>into OI. The next time the above steps have to be repeated.
>
>Between those steps, reset button doesn't work. The only thing work is
>a full power off (unplug the cable). It's the only way to turn off the
>system and try to boot again.
>
>Too tired. I removed the OI disk from the system.
>
>After a successful boot into MX Linux, with a update-grub command, the
>system now boot fine without any problems.
>
>The same trouble also happened with BSDs, not just OI.
>
>Secure Boot is always turned off.
>
>I'm out of ideas other than just say goodbye.
>
>Perhaps I'm not being missed.

Is that with grub or new loader?

Original zfs boot with grub (and note - illumos grub 0.97-based with zfs support, not just any other!) relied on rpool components' device path strings, which change if you plug to different usb port, switch bios from ide to sata, dual-boot vm/baremetal in a partition, maybe even add/remove usb storage devices while they are preferred for boot so enumeration for MoBo HBAs change, etc.

Usually a livecd, liveusb, firefly failsafe etc. can help you import and export the pool, this rewrites saved device paths.

New loader *I think* should be less picky about this aspect.

Hope that helps,
Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android