[OpenIndiana-discuss] Stupid BIOS

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Tue Jan 12 13:01:01 UTC 2021

My BIOS only likes Windows and Linux.

While on Linux, I could update to new kernel version, regenerate initramfs, update-grub,... no problems.

On OI, if I changed /etc/system or there was an system update which requires regeneration of the boot image, after reboot, the system stopped booting.

Everything I could see is a blank screen with A2 in the bottom right corner of the screen.

The only solution is unplug all of the disks on the system and boot again. It will print 99 or 9C error code.

Attach a live usb stick of MX Linux and tried to boot again. It could boot now.

After this fine boot, I could reattach the disks and booted only ONCE into OI. The next time the above steps have to be repeated.

Between those steps, reset button doesn't work. The only thing work is a full power off (unplug the cable). It's the only way to turn off the system and try to boot again.

Too tired. I removed the OI disk from the system.

After a successful boot into MX Linux, with a update-grub command, the system now boot fine without any problems.

The same trouble also happened with BSDs, not just OI.

Secure Boot is always turned off.

I'm out of ideas other than just say goodbye.

Perhaps I'm not being missed.