[OpenIndiana-discuss] Just get Pale Moon

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Tue Jan 12 16:05:32 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-12 04:56, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> De-obfuscation the situation:
>
> The core of this problem is the branding issue. It's the legacy left from
> Mozilla.
>
> Pale Moon has granted atenian200 the rights to use their branding. But he
> has to
> follow their branding guide line, too. This mean: using the libraries
> shipped with
> Pale Moon itself.
>
> atenian200 want to add the Pale Moon package with OFFICIAL BRANDING (since
> he was
> granted this rights from Pale Moon).
>
> We refused because we don't want to use libraries shipped with Pale Moon.
>
> Personal issues of us with the Pale Moon issues. Combining the the BSDs' bad
> experience: hater gonna hate. We rejected Pale Moon.
>
> The solution is very simple:
>
> We build Pale Moon with official branding off, just these two lines:
>
> ac_add_options --disable-official-branding
> export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=0
>
> Check: http://developer.palemoon.org/build/sunos/
>
> We are free to do whatever we want now.
>
> But: making Pale Moon works with the system libraries is problematic. It's
> technical issues, not personal preferences issues.
>
> Then: just build Pale Moon with their own shipped libraries!
>
> So, what's different? OFFICIAL BRANDING! Just that.
>
> The key is: Just have Official branding disable. We could ship Pale Moon
> with the
> encumbered repo.
>
> The only thing prevent us is: our own HATRED for the Pale Moon developers.
>
> Put this aside. Then we have a working browser!
In my last attempt, it wasn't quite that simple. If you use the "official"
libs.
you run into potential conflicts with system libs. If that's not enough; you,
as
an OS distributor are responsible for your user' safety -- vulnerabilities
found
in the libs for which you have no control (you depend on upstream). Not
usually
an acceptable situation. This also means that if you *do* choose to depend
upon
them. You must rebuild once they've been fixed. Also not ideal.