[OpenIndiana-discuss] Just get Pale Moon

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:56:45 UTC 2021

De-obfuscation the situation:

The core of this problem is the branding issue. It's the legacy left from Mozilla.

Pale Moon has granted atenian200 the rights to use their branding. But he has to follow their branding guide line, too. This mean: using the libraries shipped with Pale Moon itself.

atenian200 want to add the Pale Moon package with OFFICIAL BRANDING (since he was granted this rights from Pale Moon).

We refused because we don't want to use libraries shipped with Pale Moon.

Personal issues of us with the Pale Moon issues. Combining the the BSDs' bad experience: hater gonna hate. We rejected Pale Moon.

The solution is very simple:

We build Pale Moon with official branding off, just these two lines:

ac_add_options --disable-official-branding
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=0

Check: http://developer.palemoon.org/build/sunos/

We are free to do whatever we want now.

But: making Pale Moon works with the system libraries is problematic. It's technical issues, not personal preferences issues.

Then: just build Pale Moon with their own shipped libraries!

So, what's different? OFFICIAL BRANDING! Just that.

The key is: Just have Official branding disable. We could ship Pale Moon with the encumbered repo.

The only thing prevent us is: our own HATRED for the Pale Moon developers.

Put this aside. Then we have a working browser!

Pale Moon will not replace Firefox or installed by default. We just give the users another option when we are currently stuck with porting Firefox.

But nothing stops Pale Moon from continuing on the encumbered repo even after we have Firefox ported.

It's all depends on what we choose to do.

Just my 2 cents.