[OpenIndiana-discuss] shouldn't uname report 64 bit arch?

Pierfrancesco Caci ik5pvx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 20:12:26 UTC 2021

Hello,
I'm trying to compile xf86-video-qxl. It comes out as 32 bits, instead of
64.

$ file /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/qxl_drv.so
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/qxl_drv.so: ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib
80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

for comparison:
$ file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so:        ELF 64-bit LSB
dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging
information available

I checked configure.log and it clearly gets the 32 bit info here:

  $ ./configure --disable-selective-werror

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = openindiana
uname -m = i86pc
uname -r = 5.11
uname -s = SunOS
uname -v = illumos-dea3b85466

/usr/bin/uname -p = i386
/bin/uname -X     = System = SunOS
Node = openindiana
Release = 5.11
KernelID = illumos-dea3b85466
Machine = i86pc
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 6

/bin/arch              = i86pc
/usr/bin/arch -k       = i86pc
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
/usr/bin/hostinfo      = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
/bin/universe          = unknown
[....etc]

I checked also the OmniOS VM and that also reports i86pc.
So, am I misunderstanding something, or did I just find a bug in uname?

Pf
--
 Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx