[OpenIndiana-discuss] shouldn't uname report 64 bit arch?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 20:36:21 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5pvx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to compile xf86-video-qxl. It comes out as 32 bits, instead of
> 64.
>
> $ file /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/qxl_drv.so
> /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/qxl_drv.so: ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib
> 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
>
> for comparison:
> $ file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so:        ELF 64-bit LSB
> dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging
> information available
>
> I checked configure.log and it clearly gets the 32 bit info here:
>
>   $ ./configure --disable-selective-werror
>
> ## --------- ##
> ## Platform. ##
> ## --------- ##
>
> hostname = openindiana
> uname -m = i86pc
> uname -r = 5.11
> uname -s = SunOS
> uname -v = illumos-dea3b85466
>
> /usr/bin/uname -p = i386
> /bin/uname -X     = System = SunOS
> Node = openindiana
> Release = 5.11
> KernelID = illumos-dea3b85466
> Machine = i86pc
> BusType = <unknown>
> Serial = <unknown>
> Users = <unknown>
> OEM# = 0
> Origin# = 1
> NumCPU = 6
>
> /bin/arch              = i86pc
> /usr/bin/arch -k       = i86pc
> /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
> /usr/bin/hostinfo      = unknown
> /bin/machine           = unknown
> /usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
> /bin/universe          = unknown
> [....etc]
>
> I checked also the OmniOS VM and that also reports i86pc.
> So, am I misunderstanding something, or did I just find a bug in uname?

On Solaris/illumos i86pc denotes the architecture encompassing x86 and
x86_64, here called i386 and amd64 respectively.

The command 'isainfo' returns the supported Instruction Set Architectures
(ISA) for the machine while 'isalist' returns all the extensions.

narval> isainfo
amd64 i386
narval> isalist
amd64 pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+mmx pentium i486 i386 i86

> Pf
> --
>  Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

---