[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace failed rpool mirror disk?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 17 17:29:27 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> The wiki should be online again.

Thanks!  Now that I see the Wiki page at
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2.1+Post-installation

Looking back in my terminal history I see that I did speculatively
follow the instructions (guessed) and did this:

"
format> fdisk
No fdisk table exists. The default partition for the disk is:

   a 100% "SOLARIS System" partition

Type "y" to accept the default partition,  otherwise type "n" to edit
the
  partition table.
"

For some reason the previously existing disk says that it is using a
partition of type EFI (which it seems that fdisk creates when given
the -E option) rather than Solaris.  The partitioning is clearly
different.

So I got an error when I did this:

weerd:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c5t1d0s2
Partition 0 not aligned on cylinder boundary: "       0     12    00
256    524288    524543"

It seems that either I need to make this new disk also use EFI
partitioning, or manually create compatible partitioning in the
Solaris fdisk partition so that it can support the boot record and zfs
pool.

What is the best approach to solve this?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt