[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace failed rpool mirror disk?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 17 18:43:27 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 10:56:58AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> One of my root pool mirror disks (c5t1d0) on an Intel system failed but it
> is currently booted using the other disk (c5t0d0).  This happened to me many
> years before on the same system and I did successfully replace the disk.

The zpool man page should be helpful to you, in particular the `zpool
replace' command, if the failed disk is still installed.  Otherwise,
you may have to use a different command or a combination of commands.

The disk may not need to be initialized with fdisk or format or some
other command if you are using the whole disk.  You can tell that from
`zpool status'.  If you are using slices, you will need to use format
to make it the same as the other disk.