[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace failed rpool mirror disk?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 17 18:59:44 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, Gary Mills wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 10:56:58AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> One of my root pool mirror disks (c5t1d0) on an Intel system failed but it
>> is currently booted using the other disk (c5t0d0).  This happened to me many
>> years before on the same system and I did successfully replace the disk.
>
> The zpool man page should be helpful to you, in particular the `zpool
> replace' command, if the failed disk is still installed.  Otherwise,
> you may have to use a different command or a combination of commands.
>
> The disk may not need to be initialized with fdisk or format or some
> other command if you are using the whole disk.  You can tell that from
> `zpool status'.  If you are using slices, you will need to use format
> to make it the same as the other disk.

I used part of some old notes from yourself at
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/How+to+migrate+the+root+pool and
manually updated the Solaris partition table to look more like the
original one and also the partition tables on OmniOS systems I have
here.  However, the partition table type is of type Solaris ('SMI')
whereas the partition table type of the peer existing disk is 'EFI'.
After configuring the Solaris partitions, I executed 'label' at which
time it asked me if I wanted to use a SMI or EFI label.  This
happened:

partition> label
[0] SMI Label
[1] EFI Label
Specify Label type[0]: 1
Warning: This disk has an SMI label. Changing to EFI label will erase
all
current partitions.
Continue? n
partition> label
[0] SMI Label
[1] EFI Label
Specify Label type[0]:
Ready to label disk, continue? y

So I am using the SMI label type rather than the EFI label type.

The above does not occur in your Wiki article so it must be a more
modern 'fdisk' feature.

It is my understanding that the partitioning/format of the existing
disk came from a from-scratch OpenIndiana Hipster install done perhaps
a year ago.  If this EFI partitioning is what is done now, the Wiki
does not seem to reflect it.

The new disk is being resilvered into the root pool now.

If I have made a mistake, I can remove the device from the pool and
try again.

FYI: It appears that the Wiki server must be down again.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt