[OpenIndiana-discuss] what command is used to start MATE?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 19 22:57:51 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:
> OK false alarm. It did NOT actually work.
> While it allowed me to "startx" and get a DE. It did NOT allow me to
> login. Apparently root has almost zero privileges on OI. So *who* is
> god on OI? It's "root" on every other NIX based OS.

God is the first user added to the system and the rules as to if a
user can become god is determined by the file /etc/user_attr.  This is
one of the most important files in the system.  This is where
priviledges come from and there are many different priviledges.

In Solaris root is normally a 'role' and does not accept logins.

Even most Linux systems do not allow logins as 'root' any more.

It is possible to edit this file such that root does accept logins,
but that is not considered to be secure.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt