[OpenIndiana-discuss] what command is used to start MATE?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Tue Jan 19 23:33:29 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-19 14:57, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:
>> OK false alarm. It did NOT actually work.
>> While it allowed me to "startx" and get a DE. It did NOT allow me to
>> login. Apparently root has almost zero privileges on OI. So *who* is
>> god on OI? It's "root" on every other NIX based OS.
>
> God is the first user added to the system and the rules as to if a user can
> become
> god is determined by the file /etc/user_attr.  This is one of the most
> important
> files in the system.  This is where priviledges come from and there are many
> different priviledges.
>
> In Solaris root is normally a 'role' and does not accept logins.
>
> Even most Linux systems do not allow logins as 'root' any more.
>
> It is possible to edit this file such that root does accept logins, but that
> is
> not considered to be secure.
Thank you very much for the clarification, Bob. :-)

IMHO it is *not* the role of an OS to determine the security policy. As the
OS
knows near zero about the environment it runs in. OTOH the administrator
*does*
know the environment and *can* define the best policy. The OS should not
dictate
policy.
If I as the admin knows the computer is locked down in a secure environment.
There is no reason I, as the admin, shouldn't be allowed to login permanently
as root. :-)
I'm not arguing with you here, Bob. Just stating my opinion on security
policy. :-)

> Bob
Thanks again, Bob! :-)

P.S. I *was* able to perform a fresh install, and do everything I mentioned
before. But this time, I logged in as the user I created during install, and
*unlike* all my previous attempts. It worked. :-)