[OpenIndiana-discuss] distribution constructor for making OI spins?

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Wed Jan 20 12:10:11 UTC 2021

Hello!

Please keep in mind, that almost every Linux distro has much more
manpower to maintain those many packages and DEs.

If you volunteer to maintain an other DE for OI  i doubt that this would
be a problem for our OI first-level maintainers.

Maybe a good starting point for XFCE would be Joyent's pkgsrc packages
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2020Q4/x86_64/All/

you can get binary packages there i you want to try things out first.
There have to be patches reay to compile for illumos distros
so the first step would be starting to translate the pkgsrc package to a
OI-userland component, starting from the first missing dependancy of
xfce4...

Have fun!

Greetings,
Stephan