[OpenIndiana-discuss] distribution constructor for making OI spins?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Wed Jan 20 16:53:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 04:10, Stephan Althaus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Please keep in mind, that almost every Linux distro has much more manpower
> maintain those many packages and DEs.
>
> If you volunteer to maintain an other DE for OI  i doubt that this would be
> problem for our OI first-level maintainers.
>
> Maybe a good starting point for XFCE would be Joyent's pkgsrc packages
> https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/
> https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2020Q4/x86_64/All/
>
> you can get binary packages there i you want to try things out first.
> There have to be patches reay to compile for illumos distros
> so the first step would be starting to translate the pkgsrc package to a
> OI-userland component, starting from the first missing dependancy of
> xfce4...
>
> Have fun!
Thank you *very* much for the links/pointers, Stephan!
That should help. The hardest part of "maintaining" are the initial steps.
Keeping them going isn't *nearly* as much time/effort. Looks like you've
saved me a little up-front.

Thanks. :-)

--Chris

On an aside; why is most everyone on this list so inclined to "top post"?
It really buggers up the mailing list archives -- breaks all the threads.
Everyone looks like their talking to *themselves*. :-)