[OpenIndiana-discuss] distribution constructor for making OI spins?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Wed Jan 20 15:56:27 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 03:51, Hung Nguyen Gia wrote:
> ---- On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 13:55:13 +0700 Chris <oidev at bsdos.info> wrote ----
>
>  > Well I was finally able to get OI on one of my spares.
>  > I wanted to do so, so that I could start adding/upgrading
>  > some OI packages. As I began looking at the process I
>  > stumbled on distribution-constructor and thought; why
>  > not build up some additional desktop installs. I had
>  > intended to build both the Xfce4 and Cinnamon desktop
>  > packages anyway. So why not ask to see if the any
>  > OI users/developers/caretakers would be interested in
>  > providing xfce4 or cinnamon desktop ISO and USB images.
>  > Would something like this be of any interest?
>  > If so. I'll start building all the necessary bits straight
>  > away.
> I would love to have XFCE.
>
> But as I know, the OI devs will not package other DEs. They stay royal to
> MATE.
>
> You can't found any other DE's packages on the repo.
>
> There are packages for many window manager, though.
>
> You have to do pretty much anything yourself, with your own repo publisher.
>
> BTW, at least I know XFCE is possible on Illumos. Tribblix's default desktop
> is XFCE.
>
> I don't have much hope about Cinnamon. But if you can bring it up, I would
> love to
> have it, too.
Yes. Cinnamon will be more of a challenge. But I rather like it. So I wanted
give it a go. I'm big on Xfce because it seems smaller and more convenient to
use.
IDK about packaging other DEs. But I'm going to produce them. So maybe if
they
are popular. They become part of the fold. Who knows. :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

--Chris