[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shell to use?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jan 20 17:33:07 UTC 2021

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:

>> Please do a little investigation before you post and don't let your plain
>> hatred
>> for someone to ruin your investigation.
>>
>> I didn't asked to add any Linux shell at all. Please keep that in mind.
> I might suggest you try the default (Free)BSD shell; t/csh. While FreeSBD
> calls it
> csh, the differences really only appear in their name. I do the following on

To clarify, the personal login shell that a user choses has nothing
to do with the shell which is normally used when building software.
So changing the login shell will not change the software build
performance.

The tcsh shell is great for interactive use but few scripts are
written using its syntax any more.

For purposes of Autoconf (popular 'configure' scripts), the shell to
may be specified by the CONFIG_SHELL environment variable or configure
command argument.  For example:

   CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh ./configure ....

   ./configure CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh ...

Changing the SHELL environment variable itself may also cause a change
to execution since it influences the default shell that the system
uses which invoking a command (e.g. using system()) which uses the
shell.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn