[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shell to use?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Wed Jan 20 18:23:34 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 09:33, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> Please do a little investigation before you post and don't let your plain
>>> hatred
>>> for someone to ruin your investigation.
>>>
>>> I didn't asked to add any Linux shell at all. Please keep that in mind.
>> I might suggest you try the default (Free)BSD shell; t/csh. While FreeSBD
>> calls it
>> csh, the differences really only appear in their name. I do the following
>> on
>
> To clarify, the personal login shell that a user choses has nothing to do
> with the
> shell which is normally used when building software. So changing the login
> shell
> will not change the software build performance.
>
> The tcsh shell is great for interactive use but few scripts are written
> using its
> syntax any more.
>
> For purposes of Autoconf (popular 'configure' scripts), the shell to may be
> specified by the CONFIG_SHELL environment variable or configure command
> argument.
> For example:
>
>   CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh ./configure ....
>
>   ./configure CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh ...
>
> Changing the SHELL environment variable itself may also cause a change to
> execution since it influences the default shell that the system uses which
> invoking a command (e.g. using system()) which uses the shell.
I *totally* agree. I guessed when it was mentioned that "looking for..."
took forever. That it would be (gnu|auto)conf. Which spawn all kinds of
queries:
cc -V && awk '{print $...
While /bin/sh seems to be the one I most encounter, complex bash scripts are
the
other, and mostly because the scripts/source originated from a Linux
developer.
Whom is most acquainted with bash, as it's their default shell. So the
question
*really* becomes; why the difference on OI?

I'm going to be doing a great deal of building today. So hope to gain some
insight
during the process.

--Chris