[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and DE's

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Fri Jan 22 07:00:12 UTC 2021

Hi guys,

I've been following the latest discussions about desktop environments
with great interest. I'm trying very hard to use OI as a daily driver
for my work. I've come a long way:

1. I've got email and calendar working towards the Exchange Server we use.

2. I've got MS Teams working in FireFox.

3. I've got VPN working (vpnc).

4. I've got KeePassX.

5. I've managed to get clusterssh working.

6. I've got sync to/from my NextCloud server working.

7. I've got my USB webcam passed through to a linux VM in VirtualBox so
that I can use Zoom for meetings. -well that's what I thought....

BUT there is an issue that I think is being overlooked:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/13098

Sound in OI/illumos is low in general and microphone input is almost
inaudible. (see the mail thread "Microphone and pulseaudio")

I'd also like to have XFCE4 available, It's my preferred DE, well if
WindowMaker is not available ;)

Now, if we want to have more DE's available, and get more users to use
OI, I think that making sound work is probably a good idea.

just my .02 DKK

/tony

P.S. I'm willing to help out doing testing and documentation.
Unfortunately I do not have any programming skills to speak of.

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark