[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Mon Jan 25 01:27:42 UTC 2021

I have a recent install where I simply login at the
console -- no X related stuff. Just the screen.
Things just seem broken, For example, a simple ls /dev
takes a full 3 to 4 seconds to fill the screen, and each
page full is an additional 3 to 4 seconds. This is on a 3
core AMD CPU @3Ghz && 8Gb RAM on a x16 pcie Nvidia card.
This seems horribly unreasonable. Simple shell scripts
that output to the screen take as long or longer to write
to the screen. It's like the old days logging into a BBS,
or an anonymous ftp site on an 8086 or 80286.

Thanks for any clues! :-)

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX