[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to expand the live usb to use all of the space on the device? v2

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Tue Jan 26 01:25:50 UTC 2021

Well. My guess seemed to be true again.

Here is the output of Linux's fdisk:

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

GPT PMBR size mismatch (4008112 != 30031871) will be corrected by write.
The backup GPT table is not on the end of the device. This problem will be corrected by write.
Disk /dev/sdc: 14.3 GiB, 15376318464 bytes, 30031872 sectors
Disk model: Cruzer Force
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: E34D276B-2790-236C-E97C-E1EFEEAEAD80

Device       Start     End Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdc1      256   69887   69632   34M EFI System
/dev/sdc2    69888   71935    2048    1M Solaris boot
/dev/sdc3    71936 3991694 3919759  1.9G Solaris root
/dev/sdc9  3991696 4008079   16384    8M Solaris reserved 1

You just dd-ed your iso image into /dev/sdc3 (don't know which Solaris name it is, to be fair!)

No way to expand or extend or modify this scheme! Since there is no writable file system to be expand or extend or modify at all!

Perhaps Linux's Gparted could do something with the partition table and possibly creating new partition.

But who care? The point is having an read/write area for OI on the usb stick. And it seemed unfeasible now.

---- On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 08:18:16 +0700 Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote ----