[OpenIndiana-discuss] What's HASWELL support like on OI?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 29 03:48:50 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 05:35:38PM -0800, Chris wrote:
> I'm trying to find some combination of hardware that will
> produce reasonable performance at the console.

By console, do you mean the raw console without a window manager?  If
that's the case, it's no wonder that you are finding it slow.  Most
people never see this, except during boot.  The raw console is known
to be quite slow.  It's never been a problem because the terminal
windows you get with a window manager are quite fast.  I have five
low-end systems with a variety of video cards all running OI here.
All I ever did was to do the initial install from the live USB image,
and do updates afterwards with the pkg command.