[OpenIndiana-discuss] What's HASWELL support like on OI?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 29 05:48:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-28 19:48, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 05:35:38PM -0800, Chris wrote:
>> I'm trying to find some combination of hardware that will
>> produce reasonable performance at the console.
>
> By console, do you mean the raw console without a window manager?  If
> that's the case, it's no wonder that you are finding it slow.  Most
> people never see this, except during boot.  The raw console is known
> to be quite slow.  It's never been a problem because the terminal
> windows you get with a window manager are quite fast.  I have five
> low-end systems with a variety of video cards all running OI here.
> All I ever did was to do the initial install from the live USB image,
> and do updates afterwards with the pkg command.
Well *that's* depressing. Hmm. I guess my first task is going to be
*fixing* that. Frustrating; as I do a great deal of my initial work
from the console. Maybe I'm spoiled, because the (Free)BSD console(s)
are great. I can CTRL+ALT+F(1-12) for a new session, and attack
several different tasks simultaneously.
Guess I'm going to have to build all that into OI. Looks like OI uses
wcons. I'll see if I can coerce syscons(4) to replace it. Unless
someone else has a better idea/option. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Gary. Greatly appreciated!

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX