[OpenIndiana-discuss] A rant

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Jan 29 04:32:39 UTC 2021

The arrangement of the source tree is quite similar to other System V lineage Unix systems (in the relevant way, starting with SVR3, which had support for multiple filesystems).

It's all down to what you're used to.

Set up locate, or just use "find" to make and save a list of all the files, and then you can find them quickly, until you get used to the layout.

Personally I think anything other than System V lineage is a little evil (give or take BSD), but don't really care, because I've used them all, and even poked around the kernel on them.

Seen source for: v7 for the PDP/11, PC/IX (for the PC XT), an early Xenix, SVR2, SVR3, SVR4, Solaris 8, OpenSolaris, Linux kernel, etc; not too much BSD unless I get curious about something.

Maybe you just need to get out a little more. :-)