[OpenIndiana-discuss] A rant

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 29 04:59:32 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-28 19:31, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Anyone here seems to be hated Linux too much. Does it because their bad past
> experience with it or simply because Linux is success and we are loser and
> the
> natural law of the loser hate the winner?
OK since this rant is personal. I'm going to chime in too.
Don't know what good it'll do anyone. ;-)

Personally; don't hate Linux. Linux is ok. I just feel more at home on the
BSDs.

> Someone used to said Linux is a cesspool because it's only a kernel and
> hacked
> together to create a working system.
>
> Today I cloned illumos-gate and I see the completely different.
>
> I think Linux is more organized than Illumos.
>
> Saying Linux is a hacked together work is hypocrite and indeed slapping back
> into
> our own faces.
>
> We are no different. Illumos is a hacked together work and was an product of
> an
> desperate attempt to continue OpenSolaris.
>
> We are a mess, too.
All a matter of perspective. If I were buried in code that was part of an
important part of the OS I am working on. Something that *should* have been
already done. I'd too feel it was a mess. Point being;
Am I frustrated with OI? Sure.
Do I feel OI is missing things? Yes.
Do I feel things should work better? Sure.
But in all honesty. I feel the same about FreeBSD which I run for both
myself, as well as my business. In fact my biggest "peev" is the massive
amounts of Linux code being made to run on a UNIX kernel. Not because
Linux is bad in any way. But because it's not written to be run on UNIX.
Altering it to do do, and adding shims to accommodate it. Results in an
inefficient OS. I understand that coding man hours are in short supply.
So it becomes a matter of not being able keep up with new hardware. Or
cave, and take what's already available, and make it work -- the "better
of two evils"; as it were.
Thing is; it's all subjective. Use whatever works/feels best for you. :-)
I have high standards, and expectations. I like OI. But I'm frustrated
with it. But I like it enough that I'm willing to make it bend to my will.
I like that I'm given the opportunity to do that -- I don't like something,
I "fix" it, submit it. Done! :-)

> Indeed I found we are more like Linux than the BSDs.
>
> The large part of our userland is GNU anyway.
>
> Back to the rant: where actually things were put?
>
> I have did many 'find . -name' commands to try to discover where things were
> put.
#!/bin/sh -
if [ $1 ]
then
for name in $(find . -type f)
do
   grep -F $name >>~/FOUND
done
else
    printf "\n\tWHAT do want to find?"
fi

exit

The location, and organization of the source hierarchy (see hier(7)) doesn't
bother me. Because it's akin to the FreeBSD layout. So I'm right at home.
OTOH
anyone from a different system/layout would feel lost and frustrated.
The Makefiles are all parents at the tops of the trees. So seeking the info
your looking for in them, or immediately under them will usually show you the
path to take. Often it's as easy as make -C /path/to/driver/program.

> I want to find the source code of pcfs, aka msdosfs.
>
> The source files with pcfs as part of their names scattered across the
> source
> tree, the same for ufs.
>
> Which one is the true one to look for?
>
>  I really hope we could be as 'a mess' as Linux, where things were put
> organized
> into linux/fs: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/fs
>
> Oh no, headers scattered everywhere. Which headers really needed and what
> they are
> actually for?
See above. :-)

> It might took ages to find the answer.
>
> Yet the hypocrites still accused Linux of putting everything into
> /usr/include.
> Yes, you, too, the BSDs.
See above. :-)

In the end. I *do* understand your frustration. I guess it comes down to;
is it worth it to fix what you feel is broken. Or say "screw it", and move
on. :-)

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX