[OpenIndiana-discuss] A dumb idea

Chris Game chrisgame at pobox.com
Fri Jan 29 12:39:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:

> While coming from FreeBSD makes me a bit biased. I think it's a good thing
> to think/talk about. But be warned; FreeBSD pkg(8) comes with it's own set of
> complications. Not something OI would want to inherit. fe; if you build your
> packages/applications from ports (source). You can NOT use package AT ALL.
> Conversely; if you install your applications from pkg(8). You can NOT build
> additional applications from ports/source. They are mutually incompatible.
> Something to think about. :-)

Is anyone building from source these days? I thought of trying that
for a FreeBSD system last week and it shocked me how much time and
space was needed to build  Xorg just to start things off. I gave up
the idea when the system crashed due to lack of space - a 15GB
virtual partition was full, and the 'make' operation had already
taken 4 hrs or so.

Probably off topic, but showed me all is not well in the BSD world.