[OpenIndiana-discuss] A dumb idea

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Jan 29 12:46:41 UTC 2021

On 29.01.21 13:39, Chris Game wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:
>
>>...  fe; if you
>> build your
>> packages/applications from ports (source). You can NOT use package AT
>> ALL.
>> Conversely; if you install your applications from pkg(8). You can NOT
>> build
>> additional applications from ports/source. They are mutually
>> incompatible.
>> Something to think about. :-)
>
> Is anyone building from source these days?
A lot ! Most things we need are not in packages, self-written etc.
Or if they are in packages, they are compile with a minimum of options,
and we require a maximum of options, etc.pp. If you have to do a job
with your computer, you always have something that has to be compiled
from source and disseminated to /usr/local or /opt or wherever.