[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 30 14:22:39 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 08:19:16AM +0200, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> > On 30. Jan 2021, at 03:57, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > The loader works in UEFI mode, but OI does not.  Usually you are
> > offered a choice at boot time.  Chose BIOS mode.
>
> What you mean by “OI does not”?

In my experience with the OI live USB image, it would run in either
mode.  Even the installer worked correctly.  However, when I tried to
boot the disk where I just installed, it failed in UEFI mode.  It
worked in BIOS mode.

The problem was likely with the VESA video driver, which is run as a
last resort by Xorg.  The VESA driver makes BIOS calls that fail when
there is no BIOS.  I'm using the Radeon HD 7450 video card that only
works with the VESA driver.  Hence OI boot only works in BIOS mode.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log tells the tale.